Wednesday, June 28, 2017

REMEMBER WHEN...?

For years, I drove my little red Ford Ranger, 10 years to be exact.  I loved that truck!  We shared over 100,000 miles together, traveling throughout Brevard County, representing Habitat for Humanity, Daily Bread and Holy Name of Jesus.  The truck became part of my very identity, like Silver was to the Lone Ranger and Natasha was to John Wayne.

When Judy and I moved to Winter Springs, I knew I was going to have to get a more practical vehicle for my new job responsibilities.  So I gave Ranger to my son, who needed a work truck.

A couple a months ago, I went to Home Depot to pick up some home improvement materials.  I was so focused on the material list and project I forgot where I parked my vehicle.  When I came out of the store and looked out over the parking lot, I a sinking feeling came over me, where's my truck?  Someone stole my truck!

After several laps around the parking lot I turned to return to the store to tell the manager, someone stole my truck and call the police.  As I got to the doors of the store it hit me.  I was looking for the wrong vehicle!  I no longer owned Ranger, I left her in Brevard County.

Often times, our life experiences reminds us that our memory is just not what it used to be.  As individuals we begin to forget birthdays, anniversaries, where we put our reading glasses, where we parked our car.  As a society often stuck in the daily grind of our lives or in the pursuit of success we may fail to remember those most in need within our community.

Scripture remembering is however, more than recalling a past event; it is about making the past event present.  Where become active participants of the past event as if it were the first time the event occurred.  God's remembering is a renewing of his covenant relationship;  God continuance in upholding His covenant relationship with His people, now and into the future, for all eternity.

When we forget, get to busy, or become to lax in keeping our part of the covenant relationship; God continues to uphold His part, He will literally pursue us so that when we are tempted, He gives us graces to resist the temptation.  When we are lost in sin, He gives us the grace of repentance and reconciliation.  When we fall into doubt about His very existence, he give us a sign of His ever loving presence.  The greatest sign God gives us to show he remembers us and His covenant relationship with us, is the Eucharist.

Every time we participate in the Eucharist we are remembering, in a very real way, making present that first paschal mystery, where God affirmed His covenant relationship and confirmed His eternal promise of salvation for the whole world.  Come and receive the goodness of a every remembering and loving God.

No comments:

Post a Comment