Wednesday, June 21, 2017

I MET AN ANGEL TODAY

[1]July 6, 2015, I remember the day well, it was the day I met an Angel.  At the time I was the Operations Director of the Daily Bread, Inc. in Melbourne, Florida.  The Development Director came in my office and said there was someone who wanted to make a donation that I had to meet.  The donor was a 7 year old Angel named Ella.  After greeting Ella she pulled out her change purse out and handed me 3 one dollar bills and some change that total $5.00.  As I talked with Ella and her grandmother it seems that Ella was on a Money Management System for Kids.  She was encouraged when she gets money, she must distribute the funds into jars labeled: "Save", "Give" and "Spend".

Today was her giving day.  Ella's grandmother shared that Ella prefers to walk around downtown Melbourne until she meets a person who seems to be in need and give the money directly.  This was a stressful program for grandmother, concerned for Ella's safety.  On this day they came across a person in need, but instead of him taking the money he suggested giving the money to Daily Bread instead.

Seems the man explained to Ella that he could take the $5.00 and get one meal, but if she gave the money to Daily Bread, they could feed 3 people for the same $5.00.  The man did not give his name and Ella's grandmother couldn't describe him well enough for us to identify him.  All we know is there was a needy man in town that sacrificed a guaranteed meal so that 3 others would be fed.

Today’s scripture reminds us that is God who is the real giver.  We are are simply the stewards of his great generosity.  It is God who can always provide us with what we need, like the bird that finds a nest, and the flower that adorn the fields.  It is God who gives generously so we in turn can be cheerful givers.  It is God who gives us energy when we feel to wiped out to continue, and it is God gives us strength to forgive, when conflict seems to be endless.

How do we receive these abundant graces?  By fixing our hearts on the One who gives them: our faithful, merciful and generous God.

Let's finish the day out repeating this Psalm 28:7, “The Lord is my strength and my shield, in whom my heart trusts.  I am helped, so my heart rejoices.”[2]  As God gives to us, let us give to others.




[1] New American Bible, Saint Joseph Edition. © 1986.  Scriptures: 2 Corinthians 9:6-11; Psalms 112:1-4, 9; Matthew 6:1-6, 16-18.
[2] The Word Among Us.  June 2017 Issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment