Friday, March 22, 2019

GOD’S PLAN


Which of your children is your favorite? Your reflex response is probably “none of them.”  What kind of parent would choose one child as their favorite?  Studies have shown that the truth is: many parents.

Years of research support what many have suspected — most parents have a favorite child.  Studies have explored factors from birth order to gender and shared interests. Yet even with years of research that supports this idea, parents are still plagued by guilt and live in denial of having a favorite child.  Even if there is no discernible parental favorite amongst siblings, studies have shown that children often perceive preferential treatment of their sibling by their parents.  Unsurprisingly, family conflicts and feelings of sadness and depression can result from favoritism, whether it's real or perceived.

Scripture makes it clear, “Israel loved Joseph best of all his sons” and this caused his brothers to hate Joseph so much so they would not even greet him, they would plot to kill him or at least settle on selling him into slavery, and lying to their father about his fate.  The pain and tension caused by Joseph’s brothers plan to gain their father’s attention and love created very dark moments for the family.

Just when we think things can’t get any worse, it’s in that moment we often realize God is present, that God’s plan is not our plan.  When we consider the two beloved sons in today’s scripture and the dark path they needed to walk, Joseph the path of slavery and Jesus the way of the cross, yet in God’s plan both sons become conduits of forgiveness, reconciliation, and salvation.

I don’t know about you, but I’ve been down some dark paths in my life, eventually coming to the point I had to come to the realization I could no longer live in the denial I am in control of anything.  I had to come to the realization that God has a plan for me.  It is for me to trust in Him, to exercise His gift of faith though I do not know the way, and to obediently offer my own Amen “I believe” as I approach this mystery, where we walk with His only begotten son as he traverses the darkness of sin and death to fulfill God’s plan for the salvation of the world.

Do you feel like you’re at a dark point in your story?  Keep running to God and remember Joseph.  Whatever happens you can be sure God’s plan and love will stand firm forever.  Thus, we all can claim to be his favorite child.

No comments:

Post a Comment