Saturday, June 21, 2014

AM I GIVING OR RECEIVING?


Source(s): New American Bible Revised Edition © 2010, Confraternity of Christian Doctrine Inc. Washington, DC
                  A Call to Kinship, © 2005 by Elaine Prevallet, Just Faith, Inc. Louisville, KY


From the beginning this has been God's view when it comes to the poor and needy:

“If one of your kindred is in need in any community in the land which the LORD, your God, is giving you, you shall not harden your heart nor close your hand against your kin who is in need. Instead, you shall freely open your hand and generously lend what suffices to meet that need.” (Dt 15:7-8)

Catholic social teaching is rooted in God’s preferential option for the poor. God’s vision really turns society’s vision of who number one is up-side-down, which is so eloquently expressed in the CANTICLE OF MARY:

“My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord; my spirit rejoices in God my savior. For he has looked upon his handmaid’s lowliness; behold, from now on will all ages call me blessed.

The Mighty One has done great things for me, and holy is his name.

His mercy is from age to age to those who fear him.

He has shown might with his arm, dispersed the arrogant of mind and heart.

He has thrown down the rulers from their thrones but lifted up the lowly.

The hungry he has filled with good things; the rich he has sent away empty.

He has helped Israel his servant, remembering his mercy, according to his promise to our fathers, to Abraham and to his descendants forever.” (Lk 1:46-55)


Mary’s song celebrates the coming of a new age: when God’s mighty arm will once again show itself on behalf of the lowly, the hungry, and the poor. Simeon’s blessing of Jesus in the Temple clearly communicates the world is NOT getting what it expects:  … Simeon blessed them and said to Mary his mother, “Behold, this child is destined for the fall and rise of many in Israel, and to be a sign that will be contradicted…” (Lk 2:34)

In the five years I have been a Permanent Deacon I have become intimately aware of the deacon’s ministry, as St. Pope John Paul II has said, “is the Church’s service sacramentalized.” At the very heart of the deacon’s call is to be servant of the mysteries of Christ and, at the same time, to be a servant of our brothers and sisters in need. In the Acts of the Apostles, chapter 6, we find the first deacons were brought forward by the community to assist with the just distribution of food to the widows who were being neglected. For the last thirteen years as President & CEO of Habitat for Humanity of Brevard County, I’ve tried to live this calling to be a servant of our communities working poor, brothers and sisters who are in need of simple, decent, affordable housing. All these years did not prepare me for my encounter with the real face poverty.

Last year I did a mission trip with Catholic Relief Services to Madagascar. The interesting thing about the trip for me was the planning phase, because I was planning for two trips. The Madagascar trip and a Caribbean cruise my wife and I were taking. In reality, while I was studying for the mission trip, Judy did the planning for the cruise. What I learned about Madagascar was that the population in 2012 was estimated at just over 22 million, 90 percent of whom live on less than two dollars per day. What I saw was shockingly heart breaking. I thought I knew poverty until that trip. Yet, in the midst of abject poverty there was a resolve to survive, joy and a loving welcome and sharing whatever they had. Do you know when this hit me the hardest, on the cruise. The people I met in Madagascar wasted nothing; no food went into the trash. It was consumed or saved for later. On the cruise what do you think I saw? It got to the point that I was uncomfortable eating in the dining room, yet the big lesson learned for me. Take only what I needed and eat it all. I clear my plate even now.

I’ve told you this story to bring you to a level of consciousness to the challenge of serving the poor. Pope Francis called on the world’s priests to bring the healing power of God’s grace to everyone in need, to stay close to the marginalized and to be “shepherds living with the smell of the sheep.” This goes for the deacons especially as our primary call is to be serving God’s sheep, being the icon of Christ the Servant. It is also for all the baptized, when we profess our Amen when receiving the Body and Blood of our Savior at the Eucharist feast, we are accepting Gods command to serve his people, to share in His preferential option for the poor, “with the smell of sheep”.

Beware though! All too often we can get caught in the trap of thinking the things we are doing “for” the poor can cloud our vision of God’s full intent. Our service is not just for the good of the poor who seek our help. I believe it is God’s intention to help us meet and know Jesus more intimately. Spend some time contemplating what we’re receiving in our service to others. As we gain understanding and embrace these graces we can become better advocates for those most in need within our community.

I’ll leave you with this quote by Blessed Frederic Ozanam: "You must not be content with tiding the poor over the poverty crisis; you must study their condition and the injustices which brought about such poverty, with the aim of long term improvement.”

No comments:

Post a Comment